Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Stop the world I want to get off

Geena's Commander Takes Early Leave



Apparently Americans are still not ready for a female President, not even a fictional one.
Commander in Chief, which had a promising start with 16 million viewers tuning into its September premiere, has been experiencing a decline in ratings since November and then took a dramatic plunge with the arrival of FOX's rival ratings powerhouse American Idol.
Is this show the heir apparent to The West Wing? No, the writing isn't even close. But it's still an entertaining show. Geena Davis has a charming yet commanding presence, and I'd put Mackenzie Allen near the top of my list of fictional characters whom I'd rather see President than the current real-life Commander in Chief. Plus, Donald Sutherland!

The saddest part of this story is that apparently ABC feels it can earn higher ratings with George Lopez and According to Jim. It's times like these that make me really proud to be an American.

4 comments:

Andy said...

Right, 'cause Judy Dench would help the ratings.

I like Geena Davis. Agree to disagree.

Patterson said...

Geena Davis sucks. I like Donald Sutherland. If you want to make this show work, substitute Davis with someone who can act, like Judy Dench or Kathy Bates. I think Geena Davis thought she grew balls after Thelma & Louise or something. Ever see The Long Kiss Goodnight? Uuugh. Quit acting tough, it's not your bag.

We're always complaining about diminishing roles for females who are 50+ - this is one of those opportunities that shouldn't have gone to waste on a 40-something (she was at the time of hire). They could write the script to be more believable that way, because in reality, the first woman president isn't going to be young.

Anonymous said...

I actually watched According to Jim last night at the gym while trapped on an eliptical machine - it wasn't half bad. Then again I didn't listen - just watched the close captioning - maybe that makes it more watchable.

Patterson said...

I never said anything about ratings, I was talking about the quality of the show itself. Judy Dench made a damn good M in the Brosnan Bond movies.