Sunday, May 28, 2006

What we've got here is failure to communicate

I keep seeing these promos for Comedy Central's Secret Stash, where the movies are purportedly "uncensored, unedited, and uncut." I was skeptical, but the other night I decided to check it out. The movie was Coming to America, so I knew Comedy Central's claim would be put to the test early and often.

During the opening sequence, immediately after Eddie asks his aide if he can just once use the bathroom by himself, the movie abruptly cuts to the scene of Eddie picking out his clothes, awkwardly skipping over one of the best lines in the movie, "The royal penis is clean, your Highness."

Now, I wasn't really expecting Comedy Central to show nudity, and if they had left that scene intact I would have been pleasantly surprised. But given that the scene was obviously censored, it leaves me to wonder just what exactly Comedy Central means when they say, "uncensored, unedited, and uncut." I suppose "somewhat less censored, edited, and cut than our regular programming" just didn't have the same ring to it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

interesting...b/c the other wknd I was watching Eddie Murphy's RAW and it was uncencored...plenty of "adult language"