Friday, June 23, 2006

Required viewing

Now that it's out on video, I finally got around to seeing Why We Fight, a documentary on the American "military-industrial complex." I had been interested to see it since I first saw the previews, but it was in theaters so briefly that I missed my chance until now. More on that in a moment.

I was all fired up to blog about this film and all of the important points it makes about the real motivations behind US military actions, but then I watched another documentary that I've been meaning to see for some time, Control Room. Whereas Why We Fight prompts the viewer to question the motivations for war, Control Room reminds us to look for bias in media coverage of war.

Both of these films are extremely relevant and important right now. So instead of reading what I have to say, please just watch these films for yourself. I'm starting a list of documentaries that I feel should be required viewing for all Americans. I've also listed their tomatometer rating, box office gross and max screens. For comparison, Fahrenheit 9/11 grossed $119M (domestic) and was shown on 2,004 screens at its zenith.

Control Room200496%$2.6M74
Enron200597%$4.1M151
Why We Fight200680%$1.4M64

Even though I disagree with the policies of our leaders, I still love this country. One of the main reasons for this, perhaps the most important reason of all, is that we're allowed to disagree with and criticize our leaders. Unfortunately, based on the box office numbers for these recent films, it seems not too many Americans are getting the message. Which leads me to wonder if we are experiencing a form of censorship after all.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank god we live in the north east. Can you imagine trying to go see Control Room in a movie theatre in a red state? Forget it.

I saw Control Room at a theatre in Waltham. I loved it so much I made my mom and dad watch it. I haven't yet seen Why We Fight, but on your recommendation I'll try and rent it tonight. (There's nothing better than the Blockbuster in Newton, MA for all the hardcore liberal documentaries.)

But that kind of brings me to another point. With the advent of NetFlix and the Blockbuster DVD service, it seems to me that its less important what theatres are showing - these documentaries will find an audience through DVD rentals, advertised on blogs, other websites and word of mouth. The Man can't keep us down!

Anonymous said...

I saw Enron and it was effed up. Yeah, I couldn't agree with you more - those should be required viewing.

But in a country where American Idol is a popular TV show, it just ain't gunna happen.

Patterson said...

We are a complacent (and therefore undeserving) people. The system would work if people weren't so goddamn apathetic and lazy. And I'm not just talking about voting. I'm talking about doing the little things that make this machine run. Going to town meetings. Writing your senator. Donating time & money to help each other out.

If everyone pulled their weight, this world would be a better place. Unfortunately, most people need to be forced to do the right thing.

I've seen Enron. Sickens me. I will rent the others this weekend.

I'm raising my daughter to understand the importance of helping out others. If that's the one thing she learns from me, I'll consider myself a successful parent.