Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Be careful what you wish for

Lawmakers Keep Gay-Marriage Ban Proposal Alive

I am totally in favor of gay marriage, or marriage equality. It just seems like a no-brainer to me, as I'm sure it does to most people who have grown up in today's climate of understanding and acceptance. I'm embarrassed and a little sad for anyone who is fighting to prevent this. But I have to pause at statements like this one:
"The rights of minority groups should never be voted on by a majority of people. It's just not equality," said Ryan Brown, who supports gay marriage.
Uh, Ryan? It may or may not be equality, but it is democracy. There is a vocal minority of Americans who would prefer unrestricted access to firearms. Is that a good idea? The good of the many outweighs the good of the few. Hopefully in time the majority can be persuaded that marriage equality is good for everyone.

No comments: