Friday, December 30, 2005

Two hundred sixty-two thousand eight hundred minutes

How do you measure a (half) year in the Life of Smiley?

Actually, it won't take very long; I've only managed to average a paltry six posts per month, although I've logged more posts in December than I did in the first five months combined.

The fact is I just don't have that much to say, which is probably why I waited as long as I did to start blogging in the first place.

I had been reading and commenting on the Prizblog for a while, and in July I finally decided to start a blog of my own in order to respond to a post entitled The Best Comic Book Movie Ever????? Since comic books and movies are two subjects I'm interested in, I found I had a fair amount to say.

At around the same time I happened to read an essay by Paul Graham entitled What You Can't Say. I enjoyed reading this because he managed to put into words so eloquently a feeling that has been growing inside me for some time.
How can you see the wave, when you're the water? Always be questioning. That's the only defence. What can't you say? And why?
Since then I have proceeded to voice my (unorthodox?) views on politics (Gaza, Night Fall) and society (Hot Coffee, torture and capital punishment).

Realizing my limitations when it comes to forming strong and interesting opinions, I decided not to restrict myself to any particular subject area. Whenever I have an opinion on anything, I'll blog it!

I've sprinkled in some thoughts regarding the Patriots and Red Sox, and on the rare occasion that I actually do something interesting, like attending SC|05, I'll write about that too.

Being an engineer, of course I'm interested in engineering and technology, especially how it affects my life (not always in a good way).

Finally, if I see something interesting or funny as I'm wandering the 'net, I'll throw it up here. If I didn't do that I'd probably average less than one post per week.

So that's it. Hopefully in 2006 I'll have something interesting to say, but until then...

Happy New Year!

No comments: